Watercraft & Boat Insurance
If you’re thinking of investing in a boat of any kind, then you are going to want to ensure that you protect it from day one. Just like any vehicle on the road, boats are prone to accident risks, and you need to ensure you have adequate boat insurance benefits to help you recover from any losses you might sustain on the water.
Lone Star Insurance Agency is Burleson’s preferred independent insurance agency, and we are committed to providing every boat owner with the quality marine insurance that they deserve. Call us at (817) 426-2886 or request your free policy quote now!
Common Boat Insurance Questions
Why Do I Need Boat Insurance?
Boats are motor vehicles, and waterways are not much different than public roadways. There are even speed limits, traffic lanes and laws prohibiting drinking while boating. Therefore, whenever you take your boat out for a cruise, you are facing accident risks and other liabilities that are not that different from those faced by the average driver. You therefore need to protect both yourself and your property value against the risk that costly, unforeseeable challenges might arise at any time. Boat insurance will provide the restitution to help you afford to recover from these challenges.
What is Covered Under Boat Insurance?
Boat insurance offers numerous types of coverage, including:
- Physical Damage: This covers the boat and its attached fittings and fixtures from fire, theft, vandalism, wind, hail and collision.
- Medical Payments: This covers medical expenses for the policyholder and their passengers after an accident.
- Liability Insurance: This covers bodily injury and property damage the boater may cause to someone else in an accident.
- Guest Passenger Liability Insurance: This covers expenses if a permissible passenger causes an accident while operating the boat.
Your plan can also contain a host of other benefits like:
- Salvage Coverage
- Pollution Liability Insurance
- Tow Trailer Coverage
- Agreed Value Insurance
- Personal Effects Coverage
- Fishing Equipment Coverage
How Much Boat Insurance Do I Need?
When setting up your policy, ask one of our agents about the best way to tailor your coverage to your advantage. Overall, your priority is to minimize your financial losses from any boating accident. Therefore, consider such questions as:
- How much would it cost to buy a new boat if mine is totaled?
- What activities will I be doing on my boat?
- Will I need to insure people on the boat if they get injured in an accident?
- If I get sued because I was at fault for a wreck, how will I pay for the damage?
Your marine policy can offer the right amount of benefits to help you answer these questions, and it can ensure that your coverage minimizes your personal financial losses for accidents as far as possible. Therefore, don’t hesitate to ask your agent to dig into the details of your policy options to find the benefits that are more than adequate for you.
Is Boat Insurance Required?
Boat insurance generally is not required unless you are operating commercially. However, if you finance your boat when you buy it, your lender might require you to purchase minimum amounts of physical damage coverage.
What Does Boat Insurance Cost?
Boat insurance rates vary depending on several factors, such as your:
- Credit score
- Claims/accident history
- Value of the boat
We understand that your boat insurance’s cost is going to be important to you. That’s why we will work with our carrier partners to ensure that your policy provides only the right amount of coverage for you, at prices you can afford. Plus, you can often bundle your boat insurance with your auto, home or other personal insurance benefits to maximize your savings capacity.